Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Texas, oh Texas. Wherefore art thou Texas?

What is it about a full time job that makes my brain too numb to do anything articulate? Until 11 pm, apparently, when I've recovered.

Many changes are afoot. Yes, I'm talking about getting married to my beloved Jeffypoo. There are many, many things that must happen between now and then. Like moving to Houston, which is going to be much sooner than we'd originally anticipated. One would think that I, after having been so transient the past six years of my collegiate life, would feel nothing but confidence in moving to Houston.

I am happy, scared, overjoyed, sad, excited, insane all at one time. I am currently ridding myself of many material things, ranging from clothes to bicycles, an antique steamer trunk to a very comfortable bed. If I possess something you would like, please consult me and I may give it to you. No you may not have my ceramic bald-eagle-in-mid-flight statue.

I have always been able to sing songs about going home to California. Joni Mitchell's ode to my great state hits a chord. Phantom Planet's is cliche, but it'll do. Tony Bennett croons my lost heart's anthem. What ballads are there about fair Texas?

7 comments:

Britt said...

"The stars at night, are big and bright - (CLAP CLAP CLAP) DEEP IN THE HEAAAART OF TEXAS!"

Starman said...

Texas Flood, Stevie Ray Vaughn. Also, just go listen to the whole soundtrack to Crazy Heart.

Starman said...

Also, it's very important for you to remember that Alabama is "The South." Mississippi is "The South." Georgia is "The South." But, Texas is just Texas... it ain't the midwest, it ain't the west, it ain't the south, it ain't the southwest. It's just Texas.

Starman said...

okay, three comments in a row, but i gotta set it straight. That song is more about being separated from texas. but, now that i think about it, if there is a dearth of lyrics about texas, its because Texas is most properly sung about with a slide guitar.

Starman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LJ said...

I think I want your bike. Is that okay? Can I buy it off you?

Little Lisa said...

Laurie! If you're referring to my blue cruiser, you bet you can buy it! You have a place I can bring it for you in Utah?