Monday, August 04, 2014

If it's free, it's for me

Does anyone else remember when Blogger wasn't owned by Google? I barely do, back when I started writing this sorry blog.

I just read this opinion piece  and it made me think of all the things I get for free in this world without even batting an eye. I, like the writer, listen to spotify all day long. Artists make very little money off of me, despite the fact I listen to their albums ad nauseum. Vinyl attracts me for this very reason. Jack White's new album "Lazaretto", which I'm currently listening to via spotify, features hidden tracks accessible only on the vinyl copy. Were I a bigger Jack White fan, I wouldn't hesitate to pay $25 in exchange for a unique musical experience. Jeff and I paid almost $100 a few weeks ago to see Jimmy Eat World, a band whose only album I've ever purchased was "Bleed American" (back before it was re-branded post 9/11), but who I listen to regularly on spotify and Pandora (they happen to be our favorite band to train to). But then when Parquet Courts came and played for $10/ticket, I couldn't be bothered. I regret not going. I was tired or something.

We are accustomed to free things in this day and age. Even our cell phones feel free, despite the fact most of us pay $150 to use two smart phones any way we please. I was talking to a friend and youth leader in our congregation yesterday, and she remarked that none -- literally none -- of the working-age girls have jobs this summer. What do they do all day? Beats me. I can't remember a time over the past 15 years when I haven't had some sort of self-earned income.

Nothing good can come from all the free things in the world these days.

No comments: