Thursday, September 18, 2014

The Way We Were

Watching Babs on Jimmy Fallon prompted me to listen to her new album, "Partners," on Spotify. When I was a kid, I was so sick and tired of Barbra Streisand because whenever I went thrifting for vinyl, all I ever found was a near-complete collection of her myriad albums, i.e. nothing I wanted! I thought her vocal style was so cheesy and overly emotional. She was awful to me.

Then I watched "What's Up Doc?" and I realized she was amazing, an incredible comedic actress and outstanding vocalist, with more control than a remote.

So I'm sitting here on this typically dark, rainy Houston day listening to "Partners," an album on which Babs duets with many prominent vocalists. It's good. I feel a little like a cat lady, at least how I picture a cat lady, sitting home depressed with all her cats on a rainy day. Maybe I'm a new age cat lady because I'm blogging. Maybe I will one day turn into a cat lady.

Speaking of cat ladies, last night I met two dog ladies. I stopped them on the sidewalk on my way to mutual at the church because they were walking their dogs and I am strongly considering getting a dog (also BARC has $20 adoptions this weekend, so that is enticing). I say I because Jeff wants one already; I would be the dog's primary caregiver. So I asked one harmless question--how their dogs do while they're at work all day--and after 6 minutes of feigning interest, I had to abruptly end their rambling and head on my way. They both had shih tzus and tattled on about the breed way too enthusiastically for me to still consider them normal people. Sorry guys! I'm over it!

I started writing about Babs and ended talking about shih tzus. Somehow that seems appropriate. I bet Babs likes shih tzus.

PS Last night I accidentally locked Jeff out of the house, then went to sleep. I felt really really really badly and I still do. The fact I sleep with earplugs in didn't help anything while he called me half a dozen times and rang the doorbell without stopping for ten minutes. A thought came to his mind that maybe he had a spare key in his car. Luckily he did. I try so hard but always come up short! That's life, that's what all the people say.

No comments: