Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Just say no to drugs

Until two months ago, this was my drug of choice.



Or this.



Or definitely this.



Or this.



Or, because I was trying to hide my drug habit from BouBou, I would drink the 20-oz., 50-cent bottles of crack my grocery store of choice (yeah HEB) tries to pass off as diet soda.

Friday night, BB and I went to our favorite TexMex joint so I could order the same thing I always do, fish tacos. We love this eatery not only for their food, but also because they are the only restaurant we know of, other than the heavenly Chick Fil-A, that serves Coke Zero (choice of crack #1).

When Juan came to get our drink order, I swiftly ordered water with lime. But BouBou lingered. He gave me that look, the sideways one where one of his dimples begs me ever so slightly to give in, to let him enjoy the magnificent bubbles and pseudo guilt-free ecstasy. I gave him the answer I always give when he's going to do something he shouldn't do: "It's your choice." He chose to order the Coke Zero.

In the ultimate test of self-mastery, I took three sips. They each burned down the hatch, like I imagine drinking Drano would feel like. (Did your mom ever tell you drinking Drano would burn up your insides? Mine did. Crazy imagery).

Former roommates will attest to my junkie-like dependence on caramel-colored diet soda. I kept a mini fridge in my room sophomore year, stocked with Diet Coke, so I didn't have to go to the kitchen each time I wanted a Coke. I would drink four cans a day, and maybe even a 44-oz. if I had to stay late at school. When I worked at the Daily Universe, my habit was just as bad. My day didn't start right without a Coke. I am embarrassed to say, that though I was Diet Coke-free for the first few months of my mission, by the time I got to Waterloo, IL, Wal-Mart's prices were too good to resist. My habit was back.

I've started and stopped multiple times since moving to Houston, mostly started again. To no avail. The habit has always returned. "Soda is so refreshing," I would think. "It's so hot. Water won't make me feel better," I would reason. But no more.

What makes this time different?

It was those three, miraculous sips that changed who I am forever. My date with diet soda is over. You see, I am soda free, and I will always be.

1 comment:

Mike & Andrea said...

YAY for you Lisa! I had a Diet Coke a couple weeks ago for the first time in years... and it tasted awful to me! Carbonation makes my stomach sick now, and my body just feels so better staying away from it! Bring on the water!!