Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Old age

Is it sad that one thing I'm looking forward to (not most, but it's definitely second to seeing friends) about being in Utah, is the food there. Yeah, really. Fry sauce from JCW. Cafe Rio pork salad. Hires Big H. Kneaders french toast. Chocolate-covered cinnamon bears from the BYU Bookstore. Burger Supreme. Granny B's cookies. BYU chocolate milk and creamery ice cream. Fresh bread and honey butter from Sugar 'N' Spice. Cookies from that place close to my sister's house. Oh man. Sadly the list goes on and on. I am eating really strict Paleo this week so I can eat junk this weekend. Not like eating clean this week will make a difference, but it makes me feel a little better, literally. Junk doesn't take the usual toll if I've been eating clean. I will only be there two days, so I can't fit in all this food. That would be disgusting. Plus I would feel really ill. So I'm actually planning out meals and where I want to eat on a given day. As I'm typing this I realize this is probably something I shouldn't publicize. If anyone wants me to bring them back a Granny B's or some cinnamon bears, you just holler! It would be my pleasure to. Everyone needs a little chocolate-covered cinnamon bear lovin'. I am so glad I didn't know about those little bears while I was at BYU.

There are a few things I've learned in my old age. You know, now that I'm 26.

1. Early to bed, early to rise really is true. The earliest I ever woke up until now was 5:30/5:45 am, for seminary in high school. It felt pretty early. I fell asleep in school a lot (and in seminary--sorry Brother Richins). Our 4:30 am rise time now really gets me charged up for the day, instead of sleeping 'til 9 and feeling like I'm consciously napping all day.
2. Marriage/love are nothing like the movies. Even that idea of "you'll just know" is foreign to me. I "just know" a lot of things. Knowing Jeff for seven years before we ever got romantically involved probably ruined any head over heels feelings for us, but I'm glad. I love him so much. I'll miss you this weekend, BB.
3. Masterpiece Classic has THE BEST programming. Ever. My obsession started much more recently, when I stumbled upon "My Boy Jack." It follows Jack Kipling, son of writer Rudyard Kipling, as he overcomes physical shortcomings to serve, and later be killed, in WW1. Brilliant show. Horrible war. Heroic ending. And it stars Harry Potter. Everyone wins! The one good thing that came from this free trial of Netflix Jeff and I currently have is "Downton Abbey," which I missed when it aired early 2011. Can't pass up a good Victorian-era drama full of backstabbing sisters and the downfall of the British aristocracy. Oh yeah, Dame Maggie Smith is in it too! Doesn't get any better than her. Not even Judi Dench.
4. I really can do anything I want to, or put my mind to, within reason.
5. Family is the most important thing. This has been a source of trouble for me lately. Two of my siblings ignore my existence. I am not sure why. It is breaking my heart, though likely they don't care.

That's all for now, except that I must say I am so blessed to be friends with this girl because she does stuff like this and I can only hope to contribute to beauty as much as she and her dear sweet Carl who I have known since before I even knew Jeff! By probably two days. I can't wait to see them and their sweet baby tomorrow!

1 comment:

Mike & Andrea said...

Oh my gosh- I just went back to BYU for my sister in law's graduation, and I had to stop at the bookstore for a bag of chocolate covered cinnamon bears. They really are better there than anywhere else! Those were the death of me senior year..
Wish your trip was longer so that I could see you, but I hope you have a wonderful time!
p.s. sorry about your family troubles... i'm sure it will get better soon though! love you!