Thursday, June 21, 2012

lotsa stuff

I said I was going to post some old posts. I will, I promise. Jeff and I have been busy lately and I figure I'll give you readers (anyone?) an update. We are buying a condo and will close in early July. It's in an extremely quiet neighborhood, is about 200 feet from our church building and is also surrounded by old people. We can't wait to move and have income from this property when we start renting it in a few years. Our current 700 square feet is not cutting it anymore. Plus, we live next to Home Depot and hear forklifts at all hours of the day and night. Gross! The lady we are buying the condo from was probably the original owner. It was built back in '78, so there are some dated elements to it. She's tastefully updated the kitchen and bathroom, not really our styles but it'll do. All the doors and walls are that creamy tan color, I'm guessing original--or close to it--to the property. I'm debating whether to go grey or white on the walls. The doors and trim will all be white and we'll have to get new knobs for the doors. The kitchen cabinets are a nice country white. I think we will leave those alone. The carpet is really plush. I'll feel bad if we ever tear it out, but someday we probably would like to put in wood, though I dream of concrete. I just keep telling myself we won't live here forever. It needs to rent well for us, not be our dream home. Conservative is probably better. Ok, goodbye concrete floors. We've made the big decision to give some friends of our most of our furniture (thanks, Jeff's parents for giving it to us), so we will have no living room furniture other than our current Ikea bookshelves until we save up and buy stuff we actually like and get some built-ins. Is this crazy? I don't think so. We are ready to have a home that reflects our taste and style. I have my eye on a few pieces, and I'd sure as heck love to get my hands on some old Precedence or Declaration by Drexel (thrift store prices, of course!). Such lovely furniture. Don't plan on any parties at our house unless you want to sit on the floor with us. We just returned from a week-long vacation in New York and Canada. It was so awesome. If I can get my act together, I'll post some pictures and blog all about it. Don't hold your breath though as I'm not too motivated. You should probably just follow me on Instagram (@littlelisa) if you want to see the pictures. A definite highlight of the trip was being at Niagara Falls to watch the Great Nik Wallenda tightrope himself across the horseshoe falls. What a surreal experience. Mid-to-late July we will be in California to welcome my brother Michael home from his LDS mission in Japan. These next few weeks will be busy (and expensive) for us with closing on the home, painting, and finally moving in. But we can't wait! Also, Jeff was accepted to the Masters of Ed. programs he applied to here in Houston. I'm so proud of him! Pretty soon we'll be calling him Principal Ward.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Look at you guys, all grown up and buying a place to live! I can't wait for that. I'd definitely go gray on the walls. I'm sure you'll do a great job decorating.

Jana said...

I do use Google Reader, but I haven't had any time to "read" lately. I so wish I had read this way back when you posted. What a great update. I'm excited to hear more about your townhouse. Have fun with the hardware change and paint. I love doing easy fixes like that. (I know, frustrating at times but still relatively easy.) Have you decided on the wall color yet? Also, almost two years ago I was doing tons of Craigslist hunting and found some rad Drexel dining furniture, but it was always in some way out there city in the middle of America. Road trip?