Friday, August 03, 2007

What can you do? We're through.

I predicted accurately that Tuesday would be a good day. First, I e-mailed a guy from this Web site I just reviewed that's based in Lindon, UT: footnote.com. The site has a partnership with the National Archives and a few other libraries, and they're digitizing EVERY document in their holdings. (There are about 9 billion documents in the National Archives alone!) At any rate, I sent along my resume, inquiring if they had any open positions I'd fit into. I got a quick e-mail back saying, Yes! We do! And it's only part time work, which is exactly what I need! It's not a sure thing, but it's at least out on the table. I was so happy. Then, one of my editors at PC Mag asked if I wanted to do some freelancing once I'm back in Utah. Heck yes, I do! Then Phil and I played Marry Boff Kill for three hours and laughed and hollered and had a blast. My favorite option Phil gave me was Billy Corgan; he had an upside-down mouth, suffered from seizures every 30 seconds, and he was a highlander. Genius!

Last night I went to Coney Island with Megan, Phil and Dan. We rode the Cyclone! Phil and I rode it twice! Once again we laughed and hollered and had a blast. We ate at Nathan's. We took photos in the photo booth. We played Marry Boff Kill. Megan and I started our stop motion short film. Yancy was sad he couldn't come too. So were we.

Tonight after work I bought a white dress. Then I went record shopping (go figure). Then I went to a guitar shop that had the most beautiful collection of hollow bodied Gretsch's, and the guys who worked there just sat and played a different guitar whenever they wanted to (keep in mind they're playing $3,000-and-up gems!!). Then I relaxed on a bench in Washington Square Park for awhile. There was a man playing guitar and singing songs, and he was VERY good. He started playing the great love song "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter," which he must've known is one of my favs thanks to Sara Vaughan. The last line of the song says, "I'm gonna sit right down and write myself a letter and make believe it came from you." As he sang that, I turned to look at him, and he sang that last line to me! It was so cute and I threw my head back and tossed my hair and grinned a big grin as I do when I really think something's funny, and he fell in love with me right then and there. Then I saw "My Best Friend," aka "Mon Meilleur Ami." It wasn't as good as I'd hoped.

All I know is that if adulthood is anything like this summer has been, I've got a great future ahead of me.

Make sure you listen to this.

Here is a list of my favorite songs that are so beautiful they make me cry.

Jussi Bjorling--"Morgen"
Gavin Clarke--"Never Seen the Sea"
Yann Tiersen--"La Terrasse"
Chet Baker--"I Get Along Without You Very Well," "Little Girl Blue"
Loney, Dear--"Where Are You Go Go Going To?"
Daedelus--"Muggle Born"
(Smog)--"I Feel Like the Mother of the World"
The Moody Blues--"Nights in White Satin"
Nina Simone--"Wild is the Wind"
Petula Clark--"Downtown"

1 comment:

Lani said...

Yay, Lisa! I'm excited about your job prospects. Good luck and keep me posted.