Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Requires the grace, requires the skill.

Today is my fifth day since my ABC hiatus started. There are few feelings that compare to the feelings of worthlessness and laziness I get when I have no purpose in life. I don't get up until 10 most days, something I didn't even do in high school when you were supposed to be lazy. Why would I get up any earlier? It's not like I have anywhere to be.

The one task on my list for today is to visit my doctor who screwed up on my medical exam form for my mission papers. After that I'll probably get a soft-serve somewhere. Other than that I am completely, insanely free. I'll end up cleaning the house a few times while listening to Billy Joel, the ultimate woe-is-me music. Tomorrow I have orientation for substitute teaching, which pays $50 a day. Maybe I'll stop by Costco. I hear they pay $12 an hour.

Every day I hear of another friend who's gotten engaged. Well, maybe every three days. I am very happy for all these friends. It just baffles me because at 22 years old, I am just not ready, so I can't relate to other 22-year-olds being ready. Does that make sense? I think the only exception for me was Brady and Capree, because they were more like 26 to me. Anyway.

My new favorite quote came to me in a letter from my dear friend Sister Stevens, who just arrived at her first area as a greenie in the Lubbock, Texas mission.

President Hinckley said, "Many young women are serving missions. Many are preparing to serve, not because they aren't married or have nothing else to do, but because they have a desire to serve, and therefore are called to the work. The reason so many are going is because in the next generation, Heavenly Father will be sending his priesthood army to the earth. He wants to send them to mothers who have been properly trained and taught in the Gospel."

And that, friends, is the number one reason I am serving a mission, and the number one reason why you should consider one if you desire to.

Sorry all I blog about now is serving a mission, but it owns the majority of my thoughts.

Also, my papers will be officially submitted today!!!

2 comments:

A and O said...

I am really proud of you!

Larsen said...

YOu don't know me, but I googled that quote by president Hinckley trying to locate WHERE he said that. I want to be able to document it. Do you know where you got that quote? You are missing an essential line to it too.

Gina in Idaho.

you can email me at

allidoisscrap@yahoo.com

Thanks so much!