Monday, June 21, 2010

This is it!

As of Friday, June 18, about 9 pm, I officially started living in Houston.

Thursday morning I woke up ready to rumble, only to have a dead battery in the Rat. Panicked that my ten-year-old was going to throw a tantrum that day, I took him to the shop to have him looked over. Blessedly, the shop I go to is just a few blocks from Kneaders, so I enjoyed me a plate of french toast before heading back. Nothing was wrong with the Rat (of course) so I took off about 11 am. GOODBYE PROVO!!!!!, I yelled somewhat maniacally at the top of my lungs until the Y was no longer visible.

Utah is a beautiful state. All the way to Moab, to Monticello, I regretted not having spent more Saturdays traveling to all the amazing natural wonders and historical sites in Utah. It is a great place.

I drove and drove all day, lamenting the safety corridor in Farmington and hitting Albuquerque about 8 and getting to my over night destination of Tucumcari about 9:45. This sleepy little town boasts one element of notoriety--it's perched on Historic Route 66--so it features lots of kitschy motels and diners. I LOVED it. Perfect for a one-night stop. I stayed at the Motel Safari. Cheap, clean, extremely comfortable.

Friday I drove and drove through Texas. All day it was Texas. I'll spare you details, as the only one I care about was reaching Houston. We ate Chinese takeout and celebrated that "Whoa, we actually did it!" and then realized what "Whoa. We actually did it" means. So far it has meant lots of laughing, permanent smiles, sweet hugs and soft kisses, and joy. Always joy.

So anyway, I live in Houston now. I don't have a job. It's really hot. But all I really need is that man of mine, so I couldn't be happier.

3 comments:

LJ said...

My brother said coming out of Price Canyon and seeing the Y gave him a stomach ache for about 5 years after he graduated. He likes coming back now, though.

And I had a delicious giggle at the thought of you screaming at Provo as you drove maniacally out of town. Way to go.

Britt said...

Livin the dream! So happy for you Lisa.

Meg Ruth said...

This makes me uber happy.