Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Hills Are Alive.

I don't know how they found me. They meaning my high school alumni association. I got home from school yesterday, and I saw this gold piece of paper sticking out of my mailbox. It couldn't be, I thought. How did they know my address? That gold color of paper is reserved for one thing only, and that's correspondence from my high school. No one likes that color, so no one uses it. I remember in elementary school, when the teacher would pass around handouts, that yellow color was the one that no one took. If there was a green or pink alternative, you bet those were gone first. But maroon and gold were the colors of the Las Lomas Knights, and they'll haunt me forevermore.

If I could have any accent, it'd be one from the Bronx. Da Brawnx. Instead all I've got is hella good, cuz you know that word comes from the Bay Hizzy.

I was supposed to go to a class at 8 am this morning. I went to bed early--11 pm--and set my alarm for about 7:15. The alarm went off and I stayed in bed. 8 am class?! Gross! The only reason I'm taking this particular class is because I want to learn AVID, an editing software. But really, I'm auditing the class, so who cares if I'm there anyway? So I don't learn AVID. I'll probably regret it someday, but not today! Oh no! I slept for ten hours!

Phil and I were going to leave for LA tonight, but I bailed because I have a ton of homework. I'm really sad.

Yesterday I woke up with a canker sore the size of a nickel in the back of my mouth. Today I woke up and I'd say it's about the size of a quarter. I am in a lot of pain, and if you see me around Provo/Orem/Salt Lake in the next few days, I might only mumble a hello.

So. The stupidest statement of the semester has already been issued. (Considering it happened on the second day of class, I'm hopeful for repeat performances). I was in my religion class and we were talking about sustaining our church leaders, and particularly, how it's rare to see an opposition. My teacher played us a clip of a General Conference session from 1980. He prefaces the clip with the comment: "Three femme-Nazis opposed President Kimball..." Femme-Nazis. I thought references to the most evil fascist group of all time should be reserved for a historical context. Apparently a few factions have survived. At any rate, we watched the clip, which wasn't anything special. Elder McConkie got up and said, "We'll meet with you after" yadda yadda. Then my teacher says, "Yes well, these women weren't in good standing with the church anyway, so basically their comments didn't count. It was something about...hugh...wanting the priesthood or something. You know, the normal sort of thing."

Offenses committed:
1) Reference to evil fascist group that automatically and unjustifiably brands the women as insane.
2) The fact my teacher assumed these women weren't in good standing, perpetuating the negative reputation he gave them.
3) Touting off a woman's desire to hold the priesthood as trite and insignificant.
4) Being an idiot in general.

Tonight I'm going on a date with Britt. We're going to see Jerry Spinelli, author of Stargirl, in Salt Lake City. I'm not sure which I'm more excited for: the prospect of having Spinelli sign my copy of Stargirl, or the fact I'm going on a date with Britt. Too bad Jaren's not coming too, eh Britt?

No comments: