Thursday, September 06, 2007

Shove it up your sweater.

It's official: My car is a Utahn. I got the plates today. I went with the arches, considering "Ski Utah" is a behavior I've successfully avoided these past four years.

School. I'm on Day Three. No class tomorrow. The first time you attend a new class is a high pressure time. Forget the syllabus--the first day of any given class is good for one thing only: to scope out the dudes and babes. Each semester I have high hopes that one of these dudes will fall in love with my mug, and I'll fall in love with his, and that'll be that. But that never happens. Inevitably, I take the classes with puny, fresh-off-the-mish punks who freak out at the mere sight of a girl, let alone talking to one. This is the story in my documentary film class. Then there's my Super 8 class, where I already know half of the dudes. My Media Literacy class would be okay, except that I've TA'd a fourth of the kids in that class, and the majority of the dudes are actual doods. I just added my Living Prophets class today so there's still potential, but I'm soured by my previous eight semesters of slim pickings.

I think I am going on a hunt for Sasquatch soon. I say this because he's been coming up in conversation a lot. First, my friend Nick invited me on a Sasquatch hunt last week. Second, Jim, Marcus, Regan, Laura and I were all talking about Sasquatch tonight. Jim knows someone who watched his dog being eaten by Sasquatch, and my dad has seen him up in the Uintas.

The girl who sold me my sip at 7-11 today said to me, "I remember you from the other day when you were in here. I don't think too many people can pull off a Monroe piercing, but you could do it." "Heh heh. Okay. Thanks," I said hurriedly.

Today in Media Literacy, Professor Cutri gave us all three Post-It notes. He said a word and we were supposed to write the first thing that came into our heads. First he said "Mexican." I wrote "hispanic," because I grew up calling Mexican people Hispanics. 24 out of the 40 people in the class wrote "taco" or "food." (An entire, thousands-of-years-old civilization, and they could only think of Del Taco). A few people wrote "dirty." About 12 wrote "illegal immigrant." Then Cutri said "homosexual." I wrote Chelsea, the notoriously gay neighborhood of New York. Most people wrote "gay." A small faction wrote "gross." Someone said "San Francisco." For some completely un-humorous reason (at least un-humorous to me), this elicited laughter from the class. I believe one person wrote "sinner." I wonder how many people were lying. I'm going to wager at least two-thirds of the people who wrote gay lied, because I think the word "fa****" (I loathe this word) comes to a bro's mind much more readily than the word gay.

The saddest part is that I don't expect anything else.

3 comments:

MegRuth said...

a girl in one of my classes at byu once said, "the gay," when she was talking about photographing the group that came and did that whole awareness thing on campus because byu is so homophobic.

really? really?

Capree said...

Really? Who was that? I have a few guesses.. I vaguely remember this. It wasn't the girl we were just talking about, whose phone number I randomly had, was it? Anyway, this is Lisa's blog.. so I should probably address the author of the blog.. Hi Lisa! :o) I like reading your blog. I check it every day. I hope your first week went well.

Little Lisa said...

That girl is way lame.

I forgot to add that one person wrote "sex" when my teacher said "homosexual." So it goes both ways.

Pee! I think we should see each other soon.