Sunday, September 16, 2007

Mi-Me-Mi-Mo Magical Dream

Yesterday I stepped on a screw that was sticking out of a board. It punctured my foot. It hurts, but not as bad as the time I stapled my thumb. And to think, I thought that Miss Valencia thought I was a good student, and that's why she let me skip class to staple papers! What a treat for my naive, second grade ego. Speaking of Miss Valencia, after I moved to a different school after second grade, Miss Valencia would write me letters so I didn't miss my old school too much. If you had a birthday during the school year, she would spank you with her paddle (it sounds bad now, but keep in mind this was 1991). She taught us how to sew, and we made dinosaur mobiles out of the dinosaurs we sewed. We made volcanoes out of plaster and put baking soda and vinegar in them so they erupted. We brought chicken bones from home and put them in a block of cement so we could pretend to be archaeologists. She taught us cursive. We made dinosaurs out of clay and had them fired in a kiln. I cried when we learned borrowing because I didn't get it, so she stayed with me during recess to work one-on-one. She had a curly black afro (she was white) and big round glasses and always wore sweatshirts with iron-on applique. She also had cats.

Last night Alex and I went and saw a play at the Hale Theatre in Orem. It was really good. So good two old couples in the audience didn't laugh at a single joke. (Granted they were probably deaf).

Speaking of Alex, we kind of like each other.

Yesterday I cleaned out the shed and I found my ceramic eagle statue that my dad got me at Cabela's. I set it on my desk. The significance of the eagle can be found in a previous blog entry, or here.

The thing I like about my roommate Tess is that she always helps me with things, like cleaning the house and doing the dishes. She leaves me notes and sends me texts and calls me to tell me where she's gone to and when she'll be back because she knows I start worrying otherwise. Today she went to hike Mt. Timpanogos, and even though I already knew that's what she was doing today, she left me a note anyway with the addendum, "I'll be back before dark." I just opened the refrigerator, and there was a bowl of tomatoes from the garden with a little note sticking out that said, "Lisa For Your Salad," because she knew I was making a salad for dinner at my sister's today. She's just all-around thoughtful.

Fin

No comments: