Monday, September 24, 2007

I am going to be a wind chime when I grow up.

Every day, at least one person asks me what I'm going to do when I graduate from BYU this December. My latest retort is, "I'm joining the Marine Corps;" however, this statement confuses many and convinces none.

Perhaps my main response is that I want to work for the BBC. Accordingly, I recently began researching UK work permits, visas, and even citizenship (though I would most likely work in the US as they have numerous entry-level jobs here). Today an acquaintance of mine (who often makes known his desire to move to Europe) asked, verbatim from GTalk, "why are you doing all this when you don't even have any sort of job in or offer or anything from the bbc?" I found his comment rather obtrusive. I say, "Why not?" I also say, "Why do you care?" and lastly, "What right do you have to judge me and my paltry amount of research when you moved home the day after graduation? At least I have a goal."

The truth is, I have no idea what I'm going to do with my life in three months, and it doesn't worry me in the least. I'm going to get a job that I think helps the world in some way, and I'm going to live somewhere. But I don't know where that's going to be, and I don't know exactly what job I'll have. I don't think it matters. I don't think it should matter to all these people who keeping hounding me either. (Earlier today I thought it would be very nice to be a wind chime, specifically the wind chimes outside my bedroom window. Or maybe a rain cloud. I also think it would be nice to be some kind of bird).

At any rate, fall is here, but I am going to time travel back to summer. The window in my family room is jammed open and it's freezing. Funny how cold fall seems after a warm summer, and how hot spring seems after a cold winter.

We are invading Iran within the next year.

2 comments:

Pedro Baena Luna said...

Its courious your philosophy.. greetings

Britt said...

Could you be a wind chime on a stage with Johan the Angel?