Thursday, December 20, 2007

A blessing, a rebirth.

My life in this altered state continues. I'm hoping for a rebirth when I go home tomorrow, when finals are over.

Today is my last at Reagan Academy. I'm sad. Yesterday was my most torn-up day though. I left the school and called Alex sobbing. That lasted until I got off the phone with my mom, some 30 minutes later. These kids are too precious, too important. Dante wrote me a tender goodbye letter, reminding me of my promise to come back to Reagan if I ever quit my new job. He even used a colon correctly! What an amazing boy. Aspen wrote me some notes too. The others don't seem to care as much, though I'm sure they do somewhere. My young friend Karl was the most dear. Tuesday I asked him what he wanted for Christmas. He looked at me with his little cherub face with that trademark eye twinkle and pointed down to his shoes. He wants new shoes for Christmas. What child wants shoes for Christmas? This one does. Yesterday he said to me, "You are my friend teacher. Yes, you are my friend." After tearing up I returned the sentiment and helped him make stars and glasses and cyclops eyes out of pipe cleaner. This job was too great. I will miss it so much.

One last final tonight. Two more pages to write. Then I will be reborn. Merry Christmas!

No comments: