Saturday, December 08, 2007

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas.

I've been offered two out of the three jobs I applied for. I accepted one, I'm getting back to the people about the second when the weekend's over, and the third I should know next week. I want the third. It would be the best job ever. I'll tell you more about it when I get it, I guess.

My friend Marcus has kept me pretty up to date with his BFA show since he started the concept. The show is titled "Thought I Knew Him" and deals with the intricacies of human relationships, whether strangers or friends. The concept is excellent I think, and one that isn't necessarily easy to pull off. Marcus reigned in poetry and vignettes from his friends and sculpted pieces to match the poetry. I wasn't sure how it was going to work. Alex and I went to Marcus' show opening last night; it was my first time seeing the show. There is only one other art show that afforded me the emotion I felt last night. It was at the Art Barn in Salt Lake. I was with Capree. But it was this artist from Utah State, a woman, and she manipulated the female form in different ways, and organs. She was motivated completely by the human body. That show moved me. So did Marcus'. I wrote in Marcus' book that, "It's not rare that I love an art show--I love art. But it is rare that the show loves me back. Your show loves me back." Even now as I write this, I am crying, because love is not an easy emotion to forget or handle carelessly. Leaving Marcus' show--walking out of the HFAC--I viewed the people who I might normally think are annoying as friends. As people I knew. I used to view the world this way. I still do from time to time when I am really happy, but I am too stressed to be really happy (for the most part, I am really happy nonetheless).

I haven't been writing as much lately because I've been stressed. Stressed with finding a job I really want (remember: I have one I don't want). But not writing causes me more stress.

Alex and I drove up to Saltair last night to see Iron and Wine. It was a good show. It was also snowing the whole way up and most of the way back. Snowing to the point you could hardly see the car in front of you. I've never felt this before, but there was one point, while we were driving I-15 north through Lehi, I felt like we weren't moving. The snow pelted the car at the same speed, at the same angles. The cars remained equidistant from one another. "Look at the billboards on the side of the freeway," Alex said, but it was no use. I was lost in space and time, trapped in this optical illusion. I couldn't shake it, so I just shut up about it and drove on. I didn't like it.

I have spent almost two weeks without my dear iPod, and I must say, the world is not ending. I am not completely miserable. I just don't listen to music as much.

If I could turn into an instrument this exact second, I would want to be a flute in a trio of flutes, because three is always better than one when it comes to flutes. A chorus of flutes is one of the most beautiful sounds on Earth.

No comments: