Saturday, September 13, 2003

Til Saturday

Last night I saw Matt at the Fall Fling and he was quite dull. Well, I didn't realize it until Regan pointed it out. Matt's favorite poet is Poe, and he likes Wordsworth too. I was expecting some obscure poet, someone I'd never heard of. Instead, I was the one who knew all these random poets. I told him about "Buyer's Remorse" by Charles Harper Webb. I told him it had been on "All Things Considered," a literary program on NPR radio. But he stared at me blankly. Carl has me hooked on "power naps," short bursts of sleep scattered throughout the day. My average is two at half an hour each. They're awesome and really help me stay awake during classes. That's one thing I wish I'd known before I left for college: how little sleep one gets. Sleep is a rare jewel that no one cares about, a drug that's so accessible yet so undesirable. Sleeping means you're missing out on something whether it be precious study time or a raving party at the residence hall next door. Needless to say, I don't sleep much and I almost like it that way. Besides, professors are used to having kids fall asleep in class, aren't they ;) ? Tonight I went to a piano recital with Carl. The pianist was extremely good. Carl is so deep, such a better Mormon than I am. It's not good to compare oneself to others because then you feel worthless, but Carl is a great kid. I was wearing my black pointy boots and he told me he didn't like them. "Neither do I really," I said. So I took them off and walked home with him barefoot since that's more me anyway. Friends are good here, but I still miss the comfort and security of home.

No comments: